10 Golden Rules from Chapter Three
1. Passion and Interest: Make sure you pursue a career that you are interested in and passionate about. This helps you to derive job satisfaction in your chosen career.
2. Set Career Goals: You need to set goals from time to time to ensure and sustain your career progression till you reach the peak of your career.
3. Professionalism: Irrespective of the profession or career, make sure you professionalize your skill or certification by joining relevant professional bodies and institutions.
4. Training and Competence: Attend training, seminars, and workshops to upgrade your skills and enhance your competencies.
5. Career Mentor/Adviser: Identify and connect to a responsible and reliable colleague among your superiors. This would help you to learn faster on the job.
6. Skills Diversification: Take advantage of technological advancement to enhance your skills and upgrade your knowledge to enable career-changing or diversification in case there is a need to do so. (We are in Tech. Era)
7. Accountability Partners: It is helpful to have accountability partners in your career path. They keep you informed and motivate you to take necessary steps whenever such is required.
8. Career Balancing: Make sure you balance your career activities with other contending factors in your life, such as family, relationships, academic, spiritual activities, etc., to ensure no area is deficient.
9. Go on Leave/Holiday: Make it your habit to go on holidays during your annual leave regularly. Doing so helps you to rest, rejuvenate, and refresh your mental capacity for better performance.
10. Post-Retirement Plan: Let the day you start your career be the day you start to make preparations for your retirement. Don’t wait until you have a few years left before making plans and preparation.
*Worth Thinking About:*
In case you have made a wrong career choice, it is never too late to right your wrong by redirecting your path. No matter how long you stay on the wrong path, it won’t take you to the right destination.
When you choose the right career path, it helps you to live a meaningful and productive life. I encourage you to do everything possible to choose and pursue a career path that aligns with your values, passion, personal aspirations, and your God-given purpose.
I Wish You A Productive Week!
*Gbenga Emiloju (DMPII)*